All the World's a Stage

Compere 1
Spring is the time when literature fans all over the world commemorate the birth of W. Shakespeare.
Today we are going to devote our party to the greatest English writer of all times – W. Shakespeare.
Compere 2
There’s hardly a country in the world which doesn’t know Shakespeare’s plays: Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Othello, Macbeth… so welcome to our globe theatre and enjoy the plays.

Compere 1
Хто є Шекспір?
Чи був він?
Білі руки підводять вченіїм бракує слів.
Чи був він – той актор,
Чиї перуки
Вкривали наймудрішу із голів?
Compere 2
Хто є Шекспір?
А що таке безсмертя?
А як сонети збурюють світи?
Митцеві часом необхідно вмерти,
Аби своє безсмертя віднайти.
І хто глибінь тієї слави зміряв
Compere 1
Та правди, що чужа хитанню мод?!
Народжує Шевченків і Шекспірів,
Як знак своєї вічності народ.
Художник перепони днів ламає,
Якщо на світі гідно він прожив.
Compere 2
Є дійові особи
І немає
На світі непричетних глядачів.
Високі думи час собою значать.
Стають вони, мов пасма вічних гір.
Був Гамлет.
Був народ англійський.
Значить,
Напевне був Шекспір.
                    В.Коротич
Shakespeare. These walls have inspired me. My theatre. My globe. So near and so far. I can’t recognize you.
Compare 1.     Who are you?
Compare 2.     We don’t know you.
Shakespeare. Me? Have you heard these words? They have devoted this party to me, but they have forgotten me and my name. William Shakaspeare.
The clown.      Yes, yes, yes. He is so talented.
Compare1.      It’s a great pleasure to see you here.
Compare2.      Choose the best place and enjoy the performance.
Clown.             Sit? Where? Why? Let’s sit on the stage.
Shakespeare. Oh, I remember the times of my globe. Rich men sat in the galleries, and noblemen were allowed to sit on the stage. Poor spectators stood in the pit.
Clown. (to the audience)Have you prepared rotten fruit to throw into bad actors?

King Lear
Narrator. Many centuries ago there lived a king of Britain. His name was Lear. He had three daughters – Goneril, Regan and Cordelia. Cordelia was his favourite daughter. As Lear was very old, he decided to devide his kingdom among his three daughters.
Lear.       I called you here, my daughters, to divide in three my kingdom.
                Because I’m old and cannot rule.
                Which of you three will say she loves me most,
                Will have the greatest part.
                 So, Goneril, my eldest daughter, you speak first.
Goneril.    I love you more than words can tell,
                 More than eyesight, space, liberty,
                 No less than life and health,
                 No less than beauty, honour.
                 As no child has loved his father.
                 No words can tell how much I love you.
Cordelia (to herself). What shall I say? I know – love must be silent.
Lear.       So, Goneril, you get this part,
                With shadowy forests, fields and rivers.
                What does our second daughter say? Regan, speak.
Regan.     I’m made of same material as my sister,
                 And in her words you’ll find my feelings.
                 If there is anything that makes me happy,
                 It is my love for you, my dear father.
                 I have no other joys in life
                 To feel Your Highness’ dear love.
Cordelia (to herself). And still I feel my love is more than all my words.
Lear.        So you, my dear Regan, receive
                 The part no less than Goneril does.
                 Now you, Cordelia, my joy, what can you say?
Cordelia.  Nothing.
Lear.        Nothing comes of nothing. Speak again.
Cordelia.  Unhappy that I am, I cannot put my heart
                 Into my mouth. I love Your Majesty
                 As child can love his father, no more, no less.
                 You are my father, you raised me and you loved me,
                 And now I return my duties back.
Lear.        But are you speaking from your heart?
Cordelia.  Yes, my lord.
Lear.         Let it be so. Then be aware
                  That you are not my daughter any more.
                  I loved you most, but now
                  I give my kingdom to my loving daughters,
                  To Regan and Goneril.
                 And you, Cordelia, get out of my sight!
Narrator. He divided his kingdom between two daughters: Regan and Goneril, and Cornelia was given nothing. After some time she left Britain and became the wife of the French king, who loved her more than words can tell.

Clown. My eyes. What is happening? Oh, my eyes! Women on the stage.
Shakespeare. Don’t panic. He is so strange. Actresses were unknown on the stage, and all the women’s parts were played by boys or young men. Sometimes an actor would come on the stage and say: “You shall have Asia on one side and Africa on the other.” Or “We must believe the stage to be the garden”.
Sonnet 130 (video + dance)
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks; 
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare. 
Compare1. Have you ever played in your theatre?
Shakespeare. In 1594 I became closely allied to the theatre company of the Lord Chamberlin’s Servants, which occupied a playhouse called “The Theatre” and then I built the famous Globe Theatre and held the performances there. I began to write plays for the company.
Clown. He was also an actor but he played only small parts.

A Midsummer Night's Dream Scene I
Oberon, King of fairies, and Puck his servant.
O b e r o n.     Come here, Puck. Bring me the flower that young girls call "Love- in-Idleness".
P u ck.            What?
Oberon.    Bring me the flower that "young girls call "Love-in-Idleness". (Louder.^
Puck.            Repeat, please.
Oberon.      Bring me the flower that young girls call "Love-in-Idleness". (Even louder.)
The juice of the little red flower, when poured on the eyes of someone who is sleeping, will make that man or woman, when they awake, fall in love madly with the first person he or she sees.
Bring the flower to me as quickly as you can.
Puck.            I'll fly round the earth, in 40 minutes.
Oberon.      I'll find Titania when she's sleeping. Then I'll drop some of the juice from the flower on her eyes. When she opens her eyes, she'll fall in love with the first thing she sees, even if it's a bear, a wolf; a monkey, or any other beast.
Scene II
Titania, fairy queen, and 4 fairies.
Ti t a n i a (to- 1stfairy). You must kill the worms that eat the rosebuds.
Titania (to 2nd fairy). You will make war on the bats for their leather wings, to make my small fairies coats.
T i t a n i a (to 3rd and 4th fairies). And you will see that the noisy owl does not come near me. But first — sing me to sleep! (Stretches her arms and yawns.)
1st Fairy. Never harm.
2 nd Fairy. Nor spell.
3 rd Fa i ry. Nor charm.
4th Fairy. Come, our lovely lady nigh.
All 4 f a i r i e s. So, good night with lullaby. (3 times)
Scene III
Titania sleeps, the 4 fairies have disappeared.
Puck brings the flowers and gives it to Oberon.
 Oberon creeps on fiptoe towards Titania and touches her eyes with the flower.
Oberon. What you see when you awake, take it for your true love. (Twice.)
Titania is sleeping. Oberon and Puck are near her. A country fellow Bottom appears in the forest.
Puck.         Oh.
Oberon. This fellow shall be my Titania's true love.
Puck stands behind Bottom, puts his hands up and turns into a donkey.
Bottom. Eeyo, eeyo, eeyo.
Titania wakes up.
Titania. What beautiful fairy awakens me from my sleep? Pledse, sing again. I love to hear your voice and to see you.
Bottom. Why, mistress? My only wish is to get out of this forest. Can you help me to find the way out?
Titania. You must stay here. I love you. Come with me and I will give you fairies to serve you. (Claps her hands and the 4 fairies reappear.) They will give you jewels and sing for you. And now let me gently touch the hair on your face; Then I'll put roses on your head and kiss your beautiful big ears.
Bottom. Eeyo.
All the participants join hands, make a circle and saying, "So, good night with lullaby", leave the stage.
The song ”Sunshine”

To be, or not to be (from Hamlet 3/1)
To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
Compare 1. We know that at the age of 21 w. Shakespeare left his town for London.
Compare 2. He left his wife and three children at home.                           
Shakespeare. It was a great challenge for me. It was my fault. I didn’t bring up my children. Did they forgive me? If  I could return my time back…
Juliet and mom
ROMEO AND JULIET (Scene "Juliet and Mom”)
Mother: Juliet? Where are you? Ah, there you are! What are you doing, darling? Are you... going somewhere? Juliet: Ye-es.
Mother: And where are you going to?
Juliet:     I’mgoing to... I have a... I have...
Mother: What?
Juliet:     I have a date, mommy.
Mother: Oh, sweetheart! A date! That’s beautifixl! And how romantic! A date with a future husband. Hm! My husband never made me any dates. V*fe were just married. But yours, he is such a gentleman! A real prince!
Juliet:     He is better than prince.
Mother: Well, maybe you are right. Such a fine daughter as you are must surely have the best husband. A king!
Juliet:     Oh, he’s better than king!
Mother: Hm. Maybe you are right, sweetheart. Such a nice daughter as you are should marry an extraordinary man! A hero!
Juliet:     But he is a hero! He’s the hero of my heart. And as I know, there have been many heroes in the family of Montague.
Mother: Well, maybe you are... What?! Montague? That name! Again! Come! Look into my eyes!
Juliet:     Mommy...
Mother: You mischievous little girl! I thought we have already decided that your husband will be Count Paris, the handsome, rich and noble gentleman!
Juliet:     But he is...
Mother: And I have already promised Count Paris that my mischievous little girl will marry him!
Juliet:     I am not a little girl! I am almost fifteen!
Mother: Not in fifteen, nor in eighteen, nor in twenty, thirty and forty — you will never marry that young bum from the house of Montague!
Juliet — you have to listen,
Listen to the word I say.
Listen and you must remember:
Montague’s the man I hate.
He gives me fever When I see him,
When I see his angry face,
Fever,
When I listen
To the words he always says.
Juliet: Mummy, let me tell you,
What you say to me is wrong,
Montague is not the father.
Montague is Romeo,
He gives me fever When I see him,
When I see his lovely face,
Fever,
When I listen
To the words he always says.
Mother: And now, my little mischievous girl, I recommend that you stop thinking about Romeo Montague and forget that family forever.
Juliet:     But how can I?
Mother: I will lock you up!
Juliet:     Lock up?
Oh, my mother doesn’t understand That her enemy’s my only friend,
But she doesn’t even care for me.
God, I want you to know that I want to be free!
Now my days are passing one by one.

The song “A Mother’s Prayer”

Shakespeare’s love quotes

If music be the food of love, play on
Speak low if you speak love
The course of true love never did run smooth

Love goes by haps;
Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps

The stroke of death is as a lovers pinch,
Which hurts and is dersired

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged
Cupid painted blind
Hear my soul speak.
Of the very instant that I saw you,
Did my heart fly at your service

Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?

Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs

I love you more than words can wield the matter,
Dearer than eyesight, space and liberty

Love is like a child,
That longs for everything it can come by

What is light, if Sylvia be not seen?
What is joy if Sylvia be not by?

Love is blind, and lovers cannot see,
The pretty follies that themselves commit

Come what sorrow can,
It cannot countervail the exchange of joy,
That one short minute gives me in her sight

Doubt that the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move his aides,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love

I would not wish any companion in the world but you

I pray you, do not fall in love with me,
 For I am falser than vows made in wine

Shakespeare. Love! Eternal love! Romeo and Juliet!
Compare l: “Romeo and Juliet”is a very famous romantic tragedy about 2 young people who fall in love with each other and continue to love each other although their fami­lies the Montagues and the Capulets are enemies.
Compare2 “There has never been a sadder story than this story of Juliet and Romeo” said one of the heroes of the play.
Compare l The story of Romeo and Juliet takes place in the north of Italy in the city of Verona just four or five days but it makes the emotion of the play feel especially strong.
Compare2: It is a very exciting story about beautiful love which teaches us to be tolerant to each other, understand better real human relations, passions and value love above all.
Romeo and Juliet
ACT 2
CI: The events take place at night in the garden be­neath a window of the Capulet's house. Romeo is standing under the balcony. Juliet opens the window above, looks out and then comes into the balcony.
(The melody "Moon River"from the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's"sounds. Classic love. At The Movies.) .
Romeo: Oh, what is the light coming through the win­dow?
The window is the east and Juliet is the sun. Rise, beautiful sun, and kill the jealous moon! The moon is pale and sick with sadness because you are more beautiful than her. It is my lady!
Oh, it is my love! She looks as if she wants to say some­thing. Shall I say something to her? No, she is not talking to me. She is talking to the stars.
If her eyes shone in the sky, they would shine so brightly that all the birds would sing. They would think that it was day, not night.
Juliet:     Come on, Romeo! Come on, Romeo, you will turn my night into day. Come on night, give me my Ro­meo.
And when I die, take him and turn him into little stars. He will make the sky so beautiful that the entire world will be in love with night.
And no one will care about the sun anymore, because it will seem too bright and ugly.
Romeo: She speaks. Oh, speak again, bright angel.
Juliet:    Oh Romeo, Romeo, why does your name have to be Romeo? Tell me that Montague is not your father, and that it is not your name. If you won't do that, just promise to be my love, and I shall no longer be a Capulet.
Romeo: Just call me 'love', and I shall never be Romeo again.
Juliet.     Who is that, hiding in the night and listening to my private talk?
Romeo: I cannot tell you my name. My name is an enemy to you.
Juliet:    You have only said a few words, but I know your voice already. Aren't you Romeo, Montague?
How did you get here, and why did you come? And if my family find you here, they will kill you.
Romeo: Love's light wings helped me to fly over the walls. Love is brave enough to try anything - so your fam­ily will not stop me,
Juliet:    Do you love me? Tell me honestly.
Romeo: Lady, I swear to you by the moon.
Juliet:    Oh, don't swear by the moon, which changes all through the month. I don't want your love to be change­able like the moon. If you must swear, swear by yourself. And I'll believe you.
Romeo: Oh wonderful, wonderful night! I am afraid that this is all a dream. It is too perfect to be true.
Juliet:    I shall just say one thing, dear Romeo, and then we must say good night. If you are honourable with your love, and want to marry me, I will send a messenger to you tomorrow
Tell the messenger when and where we shall be mar­ried. And I shall come to you. I will give you my life, and follow you throughout the world.
Romeo: The night is a thousand times darker without your light! Lovers are like schoolchildren.
When they are about to see each other, they are as excited as children coming home from school. But when they have to say goodbye, they are like children in the morning, on their way to school. Slow and heavy.
Juliet:    My Romeo.
Romeo: My love. What time tomorrow will you send a messenger to me?
Juliet:    By nine o'clock. It is almost morning. I should make you go. Good night, good night. It is so hard to leave you.
Romeo: Good night my love.


Song “My heart will go on”






Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар